Hello, my name is Botond, and this is my blog. I’m a programmer from Hungary. I’ve been coding as a hobbyist since I was a child and professionally since 2010.
About this blog
This blog is an experiment. My goals with it are:
- To write more in English (I’m a native Hungarian who has never lived more than a month abroad so I need to practire).
- To try to write as much as I can. You have probably heard the anecdote about the pottery teacher who asked half their class to make as much pottery as they could and the other half to make a single perfect piece – guess who became better by the end of the class?
- To start transitioning to self-hosting as many digital services as I can. A static blog is super simple to set up, and I’ve already installed Syncthing, but I want to self-host more and more services over time. My end goal is to spin up my own email server and end my servitude to Google.
- To create a full-featured website (with commenting and analytics) without any
tracking and spying, completely independent of giant companies:
- For analytics I use goaccess which analyzes nginx access logs. No tracking cookies.
- I use isso as my comment system. No registration, no tracking. You can comment anonymously (we’ll see how well that works out in the long run).
- I don’t use CDN-hosted Google Fonts. Everything is served from my private server.
My favorite quotes
Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking.
– Richard M. Stallman
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and a gain, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
– Theodore Roosevelt
I don’t want to sound rude, but I’m a private person. I don’t want to be contacted. If you really want to ask me something, do so in the comment section at the bottom of one of my posts. Generally I’m very glad to help people but I don’t want to give out my email address.